Monday, March 13, 2006

Chahar shanbe soory...


The last wednsday of the year is celebrated by the Iranian people as “Chahar Shanbe Soory”when people go into the streets and alleys, make fires, and jump over them while singing the traditional song “Zardie man az tou Sorkhie tou az man”(literally: I give you my yellow, you give me your red (the color of the fire), but figuratively: My fear (sickness) to you, your strength (health) to me.
Serving different kinds of pastry and nuts known as “Ajile Moshkel Gosha” is the Chahar Shanbe Soory way of giving thanks for the previous year's health and happiness, while exchanging any remaining paleness and evil with the warmth and vibrancy of the fire.
According to tradition, the living are visited by the spirit of their ancestors on the last days of the year, and many children wrap themselves in shrouds, symbolically re-enacting the visits. They also run through the streets banging on pots and pans with spoons and knocking on doors to ask for treats. The ritual is called "qashogh-zany" (spoon beating) and symbolizes the beating out of the last unlucky Wednesday of the year.
Well, tommorow night is the last Wednesday of the Iranian year so my family and I will celebrate the Chahar shanbe soory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home